12 March 2011

Prayers for Japan

     I was at the office, working, when a huge quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 7.9, hit Japan., later on upgraded to 8.8.  It was 2:46 pm in Japan; in the Philippines, it was 1:46 pm.  First came the twitter updates (I monitor earthquake twitter acounts, like USGS).  Reading the tweets, I felt a wave of fear rush into me.  Fear for the safety of the people in Japan affected by the earthquakes, fear that the sea may be building tsunamis, fear for the repercussions of the quake.  Then I found a streaming site for NHK. Then I had to watch, in utter helplessness, how tsunamis ravaged the coastal areas of Japan.  Tsunamis moved swiftly; very swiftly.  Water rushed into the coast; then into the lands, destroying neatly lined farmlands, washing away houses, buildings and cars.  OMG!
   
    It was not mere sympathy that I felt right there and then.  I felt strong empathy, too.  Watching the tsunami destroys large areas in Japan in real time, made me feel so helpless.  I only had to imagine myself running away from the tsunami.  I can't outrun it; worse, the people in those areas must not have been able to run, too.

     Over in Tokyo, I was amazed at the orderly and calm movement of the people.  Their demeanor is telling: they're at least prepared in one way or the other.  And the relief and evacuation efforts were prompt in the metro.  It only shows that they're prepared for any disaster that may strike, and their preparedness is really helping.  People neatly lined at the taxi, bus and phone services. 

     Before I forget, I watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 early last year or late 2009.  I couldn't remember when. And I couldn't help but remember that anime by Noitama when a very strong earthquake rocked Japan.  For one, the anime was set in the very near future, 2012.  And for another, the anime was realistic.    

     I can only pray for Japan and its people.  Stay safe, seek shelter.  I'll help in the praying for you.

    

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...