18 February 2012

Thoughts: Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Macau With Friends




     Yes, we went to all those places with my friends last week.  For some weird reasons, my friends acceded going to Shenzhen.  I was not keen on the idea since most of my friends are first timers in Hong Kong.  They won't see much of Hong Kong if we cram it on a 4D3N trip.  However, I didn't voice out my reservations, except to our friend, who owns a travel agency from where we bought our land arrangements.  She travelled with us, too.  She said that it's okay.  Oh well.

    Anyway,  since I am not feeling particularly industrious, I will just note some of my observations during our travel in the meantime.  I'll start my detailed travel stories next week.

     So, here are my observations which I'll try to update if I remember something to add:

  • It's cold in Hong Kong this time of the year.
Yup, knowing that, I was constantly checking weather forecasts and reports for Hong Kong starting the last week of January.  Apparently, just last week, temperatures dropped to 10C, a day before we landed in Hong Kong, then the weather got a little warmer, averaging around 15C to 18C.  So, I had on with me some cardigans, but with all those clothes for cold weather I bought, it was not enough.
  • You see, 15C spells the need to wear winter garb in Hong Kong, and probably, the rest of East Asia.
It was cold, but not particularly cold.  It was way colder in Beijing when I went there late November where temperatures dropped to -5C.  I mean, 15C is just a little shy colder than in Baguio, right?  So, I was thinking, I don't need to bring my winter clothes and trench coat, that I don't need to buy winter boots.  Well, turns out that I was so wrong.  When we all got to the immigration at the Hong Kong International Airport, we were surrounded by Japanese and perhaps, some Korean travellers, who were fashionably dressed in their best winter clothes.  I mean, faux fur, shearling, winter boots, coat dresses, trench coats, scarves...you name it, they're wearing it.  My friends were wearing summer clothes despite my repeated warnings that it'll be really cold.  And what did my friends wear going to Hong Kong?  Flip flops,  sandals and stilettos.  In short, their feet were exposed.  Of course, people were staring at us.  Not only do we look stupid wearing summer clothes (like flimsy short-sleeved shirts, with no inner blouse and slacks or jeans), we looked dowdy compared to our fellow Asian travellers who were dressed to the nines.
  • Hong Kong is a fashionable city teeming with fashionable people, locals and travellers alike.
As I've said, those Japanese and Korean fellow travellers who were lined up at the immigration counters with us were ultra-chic and appropriately dressed, whereas my friends were shivering in the cold and sad to say, we looked like the posh Asians' domestic servants.  Perhaps, that is the reason why my friends were questioned quite a lot by the immigration officers. 
Also, it should not be forgotten that Hong Kong is so fashion-forward.  That is the reason why I bought all of my new clothes and the most fashionable ones at that.  And, I was forced to put on a trendy lipstick so I'd look presentable at the very least.  Well, normally, when I travel to Hong Kong and Taiwan, I put on make up because people are wearing make-up and it's almost a politeness expected of you to be wearing some.  It's especially true in Japan as well, and perhaps, even in Korea.   If you don't like to put on some make-up, be wary that there is a marked difference being a fresh-faced beauty and having an oily face.  Oiliness is next to ugliness.  Or being make-up free and looking like you just got out of bed.  Besides, winter is a great time to wear make-up.  It won't melt, like it usually does when I'm in the Philippines.
Anyway, I was wearing rubber shoes when I got to Hong Kong only because my winter boots have been rendered useless.  It was not fashionable but at least, it was comfortable and apt for the weather.  So while I was a little cold wearing just a long-sleeved shirt and thicker cardigan, my hair was at least pretty (it has a great color, with highlights) and I looked somewhat passable.  On the other hand, the rest of my stay, I made up for my near fashion faux pas on our first day in Hong Kong.  Well, my clothes were still not warm enough but at least, I looked really good in my opinion.
So, if you're thinking that no one really cares how you look when you travel, you're just kidding yourself.  At least in Asia.  Well, people may not particularly care, but that will not deter them from staring at you in open amusement, pity, or even disgust.  I mean, if you want to be gawked at from head to foot, then, whatever floats your boat.  At least you've been forewarned. 
  • Shenzhen and Macau is not as fashionable as Hong Kong.
Yay, finally.  In both these places, it is easier to fit in.  In Hong Kong, if you're not that fashionable, you stand out a lot easier, like a moving target.  Perhaps, that is the reason why touts along Nathan Road constantly badger you if you "want to buy a copy watch." 
  • Don't buy cameras and electronics from shops along Nathan Road with flashing neon signs.
My friend wanted to buy a camera, an LX5.  It was her first time in Hong Kong so when we passed by those camera shops along Nathan Road, she half-dragged me to side so she could browse one of the stores.  I dragged her harder and told her that it's a no-no to buy there unless you want to end up paying more than the mall price.  In fact, you shouldn't buy cameras in any stores in Hong Kong with those flashing neon signs.
  • Exchange rates are better at Mirador Mansion.  
Compared to money changers at the airport, malls or banks.  Pinoys generally flock to Wing Hoi money changer in Mirador but we usually just go to a Western Union money changer in Mirador since one of the staff is a Filipino, and thus, it makes it all the more easier to ask questions not just about foreign currencies, but as well as general inquiries regarding Hong Kong.
  • Hong Kong is not for the lazy.
As with other developed Asian countries, Hong Kong is not for the lazy.  You have to walk, walk and walk some more to reach the proper bus stop, MTR station, malls, attractions, etc., unless you have money to pay for cab fares.  And if you want to mall hop, of course, you'd have to make use of those legs and feet God has given you.
Having a leisurely walk on rush hour in TST or Mongkok?  Good luck to you; you might just get bumped by people walking fast. 
  • There are homeless people in Hong Kong, too.
Like any other place, Hong Kong has homeless people, too.  I've seen a couple of homeless people huddled under sleeping bags under flyovers.  So, Hong Kong is not all glitz and glamour.
  •  Don't assume that English is widely-spoken and understood.
While Hong Kong used to be a  British colony, you'd be amazed to realize that more often than not, your words couldn't be understood by cabbies, store clerks, cashiers, etc.  Well, except perhaps at the malls, nice restaurants, tourist-centric places or shops.  Don't worry, you can always point and show, which I did at McDonald's.  So, it's better to ask your hotel's concierge to write down the places of your destinations.  Or better yet, use public transportation since they have English announcements and signs inside rather than taking cabs.
  • Use the hotel's shuttle services in Macau. 
Yes, a lot of hotels in Macau have free shuttle service.  The moment you step out of the ferry terminal, you can catch a free shuttle to your hotel.  Want to go from one place to another?  Shuttle service is best.  From The Venetian, there's a shuttle to the Sands which is near the Fisherman's Wharf.  Want to go to San Malo?  Take the Cotai connection from Venetian to the Galaxy and take the shuttle from there to San Malo.
  •  Half-day tour in Shenzhen? Go to Splendid China to watch the shows.
 If you're on a group visa, and wishes to go to Splendid China, skip the 5pm show and tell your tour guide you want to take pictures of the miniatures instead.  It's the Phoenix show that really matters and you should not miss it.
  • Try not to buy from the factories you visit in your tours. 
 I mean, for jewelry, watches, jades, etc.  Except when the products are just cheap assorted general merchandise or trinkets.

1 comment:

cheap hotels in singapore said...

interesting! although I have no expert, but I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information. Keep it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...