10 July 2011

Travel in Style - What Do I Wear When I Travel?



     I know I am not the best person to talk about fashion because what do I know, right?  But I love travelling, and honestly, picking out my wardrobe for my travel destination is way more fun than doing my travel research.  Really.  I think I am just vain, or perhaps, I just can't shake off my inner sheep quality of loving to dress up.

     I am a plus-size, so I really need to plan carefully my wardrobe when I travel.  I need to pack a few extra shirts, skirts or dresses, and of course, undergarments, just in case I soil a piece of clothing, or rip or bust a seam.  I mean, it's sort of hard to find plus-size clothing in Asia.  Don't get me wrong.  There are stores selling plus-size clothing here, like Marks and Spencer and Dorothy Perkins and Forever21 among others.  I know where to find stuff in my own turf but not in other places.  If I'm in Bankok, for example, finding the right dress-size would be a pain if I don't know where to look.  People in Bangkok are skinny and fit!  So unlike me.  But the last time I went to Bangkok, I saw a store selling plus-size clothes; just one store, though.  Besides, even if I find a plus-size clothing, most often than not, those are for the older ladies, and I wouldn't want to wear some matronly clothes.  If I'll end up buying clothes during my travel, I might as well buy something really nice and fashionable.  As I said, I am vain.

      Enough of my non-sense ramblings.  So, what do I wear when I travel?  Here's my nust-have list:

1.  Dresses and Skirts
     I grew up wearing dresses and skirts.  I think I had my first jeans when I was already in Grade 5. Dresses and skirts are considerably lighter than jeans so, they won't bulk up your luggage.  Instead of bringing a top and jeans per outfit, with dresses, you'd only have to slip into one and the outfit would be complete. No need for bulky bottoms.

2.   Shorts
     I know I don't have the right to cause people unnecessary annoyance by baring my legs but shorts are easier to pack and lighter, too. Plus, it's great when the weather's warm and when my thighs are sore from walking in a dress.  However, if you're fat, like me, just be ready to be stared at, not with admiration, but with slight disgust, amusement or trepidation from passersby.  Heehee.
 3.  Leggings or thick, opaque tights.
     Dresses and shorts work when the weather's warm but they won't keep you warm in autumn or winter.  But you can always wear leggings or tights underneath.  Just like what I did when I went to Beijing battling with -5C or less chilly weather. And tights do look good  with dresses and skirts.  Also, I've read somewhere that this is what Korean and Japanese ladies do.  Like in Kdramas, even in the snow, the actress still wears just tights and skirts.
     If you're still concerned about the cold, just buy a thermal stockings and camisole, or use two stockings.  When I was going to Beijing, I was salivating to buy those light Uniqlo thermals for ladies.  They're so light but they'll keep you warm even though you're wearing a sheer dress, at least that's what the commercial said.
4.  Tank tops and Light-fabric shirts
     Light shirts are always better in warm weather; in colder weather, just layer your clothes by wearing a tank top underneath a light-fabric shirt or two.  Then top it off with your chosen outerwear, like a trench coat.


5.  Ballerina flats, sandals or Fit Flops.
     I refuse to wear rubber shoes because they won't go well with my dresses.  So, I use Fit Flops instead; comfy even when walking for miles.  I also bring flats, or sandals though sometimes it hurts the feet when walking a great distance.  Sometimes, I wear Crocs platforms instead. In colder weather,  I prefer flat-soled boots.
     Sometimes, Chucks look good in skirts or dresses, too. 
6.  Accessories
     Yup, don't forget to accessorize, be it a scarf, a hat, a cute bag, a necklace or earrings.  I think some outfits look cuter with accessories.  And while you're at it, never forget to bring an umbrella, okay?
     Also, a pashmina, a light cardigan, a jacket, scarf or shawl is a must, even if you're going to say, Bangkok or Singapore where it's always hot.  You see, it always gets too cold inside the airplane and the airport, so, protect yourself from the cold.  It comes in handy, too, when it rains.


N.B.  The photos are from Dorothy Perkins mostly, Promod and Accessorize.  I have similar dresses, shirts and shoes as shown above. 


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...