10 July 2010

Living in an Archipelago and Travelling Beyond

     When I was younger, I hardly knew any place other than my home and my school.  It did not change for the better even after college considering that I started studying again, this time while working.  Simply put, I had no time for travelling.  However, after I obtained my post graduate degree, things got a little easier and I ventured into travelling.  I guess, that is what happens when you're living a simple boxed life.  Once gaining freedom, I simply threw myself out in the world.  So far, I'm loving every moment of it.

     The bigger box where I live in is the Philippines, an archipelagic country with around 7,100 islands to explore.  However, the fact that it's an archipelago makes travelling within  the country a little complicated.  Only a handful of places can be reached by plane; most are either by land or by sea, or, a combination of one or the other, or all three.  And, since the islands are scattered, time is the main concern, and of course, the money to burn.  But really, the Philippines has a lot to offer, if one gets enough energy to island-hop.  In my case, though, I know it was rather unpatriotic of me to spend time travelling to places other than in my own country, but well, it's something that I would like to fix in the nearest future, perhaps, next year.  But for now, I'll be focusing on travelling in Asia.

     Two years ago, my first Asian adventure was not in one of the beautiful islands of the Philippines, as you may have already gathered. Rather, it was in Bangkok, Thailand.  The next was in Singapore and Malaysia.  Last year, I went to Hong Kong and Macau during the first quarter, and again in Singapore in the last quarter.  This year, I visited Bangkok again in March, and I just came back from my trip to Taiwan.  In September, I will be going to Hong Kong again, and in November, to Beijing, China.  Looking at my itinerary for this year, I would have visited four countries by the end of the year.  And that's a lot.  So, I thought of chronicling my past travel adventures and misadventures, as well as my travel plans and preparations for the places I intend to visit, whether in or out of the Philippines.

     And, so I'll start with my most recent trip, my Taiwan adventure, in another post.  Till then!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...