22 July 2010

Taiwan Adventure: Day 1 - Longshan Temple

DAY 1 
FINDING MY HOTEL

     The Evergreen airport bus has a stop very near my hotel in the Nanjing East Road MRT Station and Chungsan Road area.  I told the bus driver where I would like to alight but since I have extensively researched the area via Google maps, I was already familiar with the place. Before the driver could tell me we've reached my stop, I was already at the door ready to board down.  Thanks to Google maps street view, finding my hotel was hassle-free.


LONGSHAN TEMPLE




     After leaving my bags at the hotel, I had a quick breakfast (bagel and coffee) at a nearby Dante Coffee, a local coffee shop chain.  Afterwards, I bought an MRT Easy Card pre-loaded with NTD 200.00, and it turned out to be a bad mistake.  I should have bought a Taipei Pass instead since I used the MRT quite extensively during my three-day trip.  I could have saved a couple of bucks. 

   Anyway, I headed to the Nanjing East Road MRT Station and after asking directions from the Information booth, I successfully found my way to Longshan Temple.  It was already past 9:00 in the morning, as revealed by the LCD clock at the entrance of the temple, and the sun was starting to sting.  But it did not deter me from roaming around the temple.  Besides, I came prepared: I had a three-fold umbrella and a fan with me.  I noticed that I was not the only tourist; there were quite a number but they were all Asians.  I asked some college-aged Asian boys to take my picture, only because one of them had a dslr camera like mine.  Besides, they were all cute, very accommodating and polite.  They spoke very good English, too.  So, it was a win-win for me.   

     Boys were not the reason why I went to Longshan, so with a heavy heart, I thanked the boys and made my way inside the incense-laden temple where a multitude of faithfuls were praying and paying their respects. I uttered a short thank-you and keep-me-safe prayers, something that I always do whenever I visit a place of worship abroad, irrespective of religion.  Anyway, the solemn atmosphere in the temple deterred me from taking more pictures.



My breakfast: Bagel and Coffee from Dante Coffee




Longshan Temple




     To get to the temple, take the MRT on the blue line and alight at the Longshan Temple station.  There are two exits you could use to reach the Temple.  First, via the main street, as pictured below.  You'll have to pass by a small park beside the exit.  Just turn to your right and the Temple is straight ahead, around 180m away.  The second is through the underground mall.  You could also window shop if you decide to go through here.  The exit is very near the Temple; just turn left and you'll see the Temple across the street.




     And this is the other exit [the one with the yellow roof].  In case you get hungry, there are restaurants scattered in the area.








N.B.

Updated with additional info and better pictures. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's the name of the hotel you stayed at how much did it cost? thank you!

youknowyouloveme said...

@ Anonymous

Hotel Delight. For 3D2N w/breakfast and free coffee/tea at the business area & noodles plus milk everyday. If I'm not mistaken, I paid around Php 6000++, I forgot the exact price. It was a last minute hotel booking, a day or two before my flight. So, its price was higher.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...