24 September 2010

Hong Kong Adventure: Day 2 - Shopping at Tsim Sha Tsui; Victoria Harbor, Star Ferry, and Mongkok



     For Day 2, we almost did nothing; when I mean nothing, it means that we basically shopped during the late morning till late afternoon, and only did the touristy stuff as the night drew near.  I didn't know how it happened that we went shopping.  Time flew by really fast.  Honestly, it was a day spent wasted, really.  I took a mental note and told myself to only go shopping after seeing the sites.  I don't mind walking great distances; but I do mind walking for hours seeing nothing but shopping malls.     

     From our hotel, we passed by a building with giant various sweets and desserts on a platform.  It can't be eaten, though, it's just a display but it looked so good...yummy!  It's beside Holiday Inn Hotel, near East Tsim Sha Tsui exit.



      After that, we went to the shops in Tsim Sha Tsui and spent considerable time in there.  Again, no more shopping next time.  I only had 3 days in Taiwan but I was able to see a lot of sites.  I had 4 days in Hong Kong and I couldn't remember what I actually did.  Probably because we did not do and see much.

     So, night was nearing and the Symphony of Lights was about to start, and I learned, again, another valuable lesson.  Never assume that someone who goes to Hong Kong frequently, at least 4 to 5 times a year, knows the tourist sites.  Yeah.  So, be ready to get lost if you go to a foreign country unprepared.  Never rely on someone; do your own homework.  It's my second time in Hong Kong but it was as if it was only my first time there.

     We rode the Star Ferry after getting our free one-hour wi-fi access card from the tourist information center near the terminal.  We were hoping to catch the Symphony of Lights and see the splendor of Victoria Harbor while on board the ferry.  When we reached Central, we just took the next ferry back to Tsim Sha Tsui just because we could.  The night was clear; the clouds huge, and the harbor was just amazing with all the lights.  It's a treat to see the show on water, but it's difficult to get a clear shot while moving.  But hey, the fare's more or less HKD 2.00, and the view's fantastic, so I should be more than thankful. 

     The free wi-fi card looks a lot similar to this:










     After our return trip, we went to see the Clock Tower, and climbed onto the viewing deck.  We walked to the bus stop to catch a bus going to Mongkok.  We went to the Ladies' Market and bought some souvenirs.  We had late dinner at Kanimizu along Nathan Road, and since they were already closing, food was 60% off (or was it 40%? I was too hungry to remember).  The food was great and cheap (because of the discount) and service was superb.  They serve free water, with lots of ice, and of course, unlimited tea.














    By the time we arrived back at the hotel, it was almost 11:30 p.m.  We were all tired walking but we needed to wake up early for our city tour the following morning.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...