14 May 2011

Taiwan Travel Adventures 2011 - Day 1: Sun Moon Lake, Part I


* Read Parts 2, 3, and 4.


     I took the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle Bus at the Taichung Railway Station bus stop.  I paid NTD 180.00 for a one-way ride to Sun Moon Lake.  I was able to catch the 9:00 a.m. bus, which was almost full when I got in.  A man was telling passengers that there's another bus going to Sun Moon Lake for NTD 200.00, in case we don't find a seat in the shuttle bus.  He looks kinda creepy but I think he's a liaison for a bus company that services Taichung and Sun Moon Lake because I see him directing passengers to a bus in Sun Moon Lake going to Taichung later in the day.

     The one and a half hour ride from Taichung to Sun Moon Lake was quite relaxing.  The scenery was awesome!  It was green everywhere.  The mountains are quite beautiful and the foliage, lush.  I was still sleepy but I managed to stay awake because I just could not resist the beauty laid before my eyes.  I got a seat in front, behind the driver.  I noticed in Taiwan that people don't usually seat behind the driver; it's one of the last seats to be taken, unlike here in the Philippines where people love to seat in front (is it a reserved seat?)






     When the bus reached Sun Moon Lake, and the passengers caught their first glimpse of the lake, everyone ohh-ed and ahh-ed in awe.  The moment I saw the emerald waters glistening in the mid-morning sun amidst the mountainous backdrop, I knew it was love at first sight.  I uttered a simple prayer thanking the Lord for making it possible for me to see this wonder of nature.  And this is just a small part of what I saw:




     The bus finally made it's stop in front of the Shueishe Visitor's Center.  I boarded down the bus and asked for the restrooms.  Heehee.  Afterwards, I consulted with the friendly staff at the visitor's center in planning my day.  I asked what time will the last bus going to Taipei depart.  I was told all the bus schedules I need, and I was given advise on what time I should head back to Shueishe to catch the Taipei-bound bus.

     I was too ecstatic when the staff told me that there's this Sun Moon Lake Pass I could buy which includes tickets to everything I wanted to see or do, and more, for a much cheaper price than buying those tickets a piece.  The day before, I was computing how much the trip would cost me.  The boat ride around Sun Moon Lake would cost me NTD 300.00, the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway for NTD 300.00, and the round-the-lake unlimited bus ride for NTD 80.00.  But the Sun Moon Lake Pass (blue) costs only NTD 299.00 and it includes: 1) One-way shuttle boat to  Ita Thao Pier; 2) Sun Moon Lake Ropeway Ticket; 3) Around-the-Lake Bus (unlimited ride); 4) a bike rental coupon; and 5) 20% off discount coupon for an electronic bike.  If you want a return boat ride, where you can go to some temples, too, you only have to add NTD 100.00.  I didn't want to temple-hop because I was thinking of going to Ci En Temple anyway and I must conserve energy.  So I just bought the regular pass.




     If I had more than just a day to spend, I would have gotten the green pass, NTD 899.00.  It includes everything in the blue pass plus a Taichung-Sun Moon Lake round-trip ticket and a ticket to the Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village (FACV)!  It's so darn cheap!  The ticket to FACV costs NTD 650.00 and a one-way ticket from Sun Moon Lake to Taichung is NTD 200.00, so the round-trip costs NTD 400.00!  You do save a lot!

     There's even more.  There's a Sun Moon Lake Smart Card which costs NTD 1439.00 for two cards!  It has a discount card for a store chain, a TWSC bus voucher, everything in the blue pass, and a FACV ticket (which includes a ropeway ticket) and a separate ropeway ticket.  If you'll only buy a single card, it'll cost NTD 739.00.  It's so cheap that I don't see a reason why you should not go to Sun Moon Lake.


Click the photo for full-page resolution.


     Also, don't forget to grab the Easy Go Sun Moon Lake booklet.  It has everything you need for your visit to Sun Moon Lake, including information on dining and accommodation.  You could collect stamp marks  ,on your booklet, which you'll find in temples and trails and exchange them for freebies at the Shueishe Visitor's Center.

     Now that I have my Sun Moon Lake Passport, all I needed to do was start my adventure in Sun Moon Lake, yay!


For bus schedules to and from Sun Moon Lake and around the area and just about everything else related to bus service, check this LINK at the Sun Moon Lake website.
 For the Sun Moon Lake Ropeway website, click HERE.
For the FACV website, click HERE.
 For the Taiwan Tourist Shuttle Bus website, click HERE.
For any other inquires, please do not hesitate to contact me for tips.  I might be able to help.   

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Where do you get the green pass for the sun moon lake and FACV?

Asian Travel Adventures said...

Hi!

You can buy the green pass, as well as the other passes, at the Shueishe Visitor's Center. You'll find it easily as it is the place where the bus will drop you off.

Anonymous said...

please help me. i am bringing my family to Taipei. I want to go to Sun MOON LAKE but I DO NOT KNOW HOW. I plan to stay at a hotel in Taipei Main Station. I only have three full days in Taipei. Can you give me a detail instructions on how to enjoy sun moon lake? thank you very much

Asian Travel Adventures said...

The quickest way is to board the bullet train to Taichung since the shuttle bus pick up point is just on the exit.

You can also board a Kuo Kuang bus directly from Taipei to Sun Moon Lake but it'll take 4hrs. but it's more convenient if you're spending the night.

You can opt to take a cab that will bring you around Sun Moon Lake for a couple of hours. I think the fare is fixed; just ask the Shuishe tourist information for details. Most families I've seen while there were just using the Sun Moon Lake bus to get around.

I suggest you buy the Sun Moon Lake passport, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,
I would like to purchase the sun moon lake pass as well.
But I don't quite understand what's the diff between the green pass and the sun moon lake smart pass.
Do the sum moon lake smart pass have facv admission as well?

And also for the passes right , they include the Return bus from Taichung to sun moon lake.
If I'm purchasing it at Shuishe visitor center.
Means I will have to pay for the bus to Sun moon lake first right ?
Will they e refunding back?

Hope you get what I mean...
Thanks !

Asian Travel Adventures said...

@ Anonymous

Green Pass - Includes ticket to FACV; roundtrip ticket for Taichung-Sun Moon Lake; plus everything else in the Blue Pass.

Smart Pass - Everything else in the Green Pass good for 2 persons; with some other goodies like a discount card.

If you click on the last photo for bigger resolution, you'll see the perks each card has.

As for the Taichung-Sun Moon Lake round trip tickets, I don't think they'd refund you for the ticket you'll use going to Taichung-Sun Moon Lake. Anyway, the cards can be bought at the Shuieshe Tourist Information Office. Or, if you want, you could try asking the Information Office at the Taichung THSR station if they're selling the Sun Moon Lake passes.

Maybe, you could try to contact the service hotline re: the roundtrip Taichung-Sun Moon Lake tickets - 049-2983589; or visit the Sun Moon Lake website.

Anonymous said...

hi! i will be coming from cityinn 3 bec i plan to leave my baggage there then go straight to sun moon lake. i will be from a cebu pacific flight so probably i'll be there at 2am. so how ealry can i board a bus/train to taichung?

pls help. i want to spend the whole day in sun moon lake and maximixe what i can do there.

Asian Travel Adventures said...

Earliest by train is 5:30 am on Chu-Kuang Express; arriving in Taichung by 8:11 a.m. By THSR, 6:30 AM arriving in Taichung by 7:30 am.

You can check the bus schedules from the links I provided above. For train schedules, check the Taiwan Railways Admin website -http://twtraffic.tra.gov.tw/twrail/English/
or the THSR website - http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/ticket/tic_time_search.asp

I'm not sure about the time as to the Kuo Kuang direct bus to Sun Moon Lake which is a 4-hour drive, but the link I gave for the bus schedule from the SML website says 8:00am. http://www.kingbus.com.tw/

The station, however, is at the Zhong Xiao Fuxing station if I remember correctly.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

How about luggages on bus ? got space for big luggages ?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...