02 May 2011

Thoughts: Delayed Flight to Taiwan and Missing the Last Bus to Taipei


     I was fortunate to snag tickets bound for Taiwan for the Holy Week.  Filipinos have a four-day break during this time of the year and well, it's a peak-season for travelling in and out of the country.  So, I knew that there would be quite a line at the check-in counters so I decided to buy my seats in advance.  I forgot to utilize the web check-in procedure of Cebu Pacific and that would have made my life loads easier since I already have pre-booked seats.  When I arrived at the NAIA Terminal 3, all counters were open, and fully-packed with people.  The web check-in counter, on the other hand, intermittently had one or two passengers lined-up.  So, there, you should all avail of the web check-in counter.  It's faster, and you don't have to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight.


    However, what's the use of a web check-in if the flight is delayed?  I know, I know.  Flights are usually delayed during peak season like Christmas and Holy Week but I was not expecting the delay in our flight.  I mean, come on.  Cebu Pacific only has one flight for that day going to Taiwan, so why would the plane be late?  But the plane was late.  I think they used the plane to another destination god-knows-where before its flight to Taiwan.  Oh yeah, our flight was an hour late.

     The waiting area for our flight was packed with people; I think it was a full flight.  And there were a lot of Chinese-Filipino families, around 70% of the all the passengers.  And when it was announced that our flight was delayed, I think I was the only one who got really flustered.  I would miss the bus!  I wanted to befriend people so I could split the cab fare from Taoyuan Airport to Taipei, but I didn't have the courage to do so.  People around me were calling their respective airport shuttle service, and I had no one to call because I didn't have a shuttle service.  Sadness.

     When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the last bus had already left.  I was so tempted to strike a conversation with anyone in hopes of having someone split the cab fare to Taipei.  But then again, I was shy and I didn't want to bother people.  So, group by group, the passengers on out flight went their own separate ways, riding in their shuttle vans and cars; some had their friends and families picking them up.  Until I was the only one left.

     It was lonely; really. I knew there would be a 3 a.m. Kuo Kuang bus, but I haven't confirmed it.  Through the help of several airport staff, one of whom was a Filipino, I was told there would indeed be a 3 a.m. Kuo Kuang bus.  Thank God!  By the way, the terminal had a facelift; a lot of booths were added at the arrival hall.

     The Filipino airport staff, a cleaning lady, placated my fears; I'd be able to reach Taipei before my 6:15 am train ride to Taichung. So, I waited at the airport bus counters, and 10 minutes before 3 a.m., the Kuo Kuang bus came...I saw it pass by so I rushed outside.  Good thing that I had Taiwanese dollars with me.  The bad thing?  I need exact change to pay for the NTD 125 fare.  The driver was really helpful and he helped me change my NTD 1000 bill.

     I reached Taipei around 4 a.m.  During the bus ride to Taipei, I was contemplating on whether or not to continue with my Sun Moon Lake trip.  I mean, I was tired already and I needed to pick up my train ticket at 5:30 a.m.  I was so unsure.

     Oh well, I was thinking that I'll cross the bridge when I get there.  And when I got there, in Taipei, I had to look for my hostel.  I had a map showing me directions from Taipei Main Station to Star Hostel but hey, I couldn't find a sign saying Civic Boulevard around.  I saw people going towards the main road, up ahead, so I did, too.  But when I got at the corner, it didn't seem like the one on the map because the street name's not Civic Boulevard.  I asked some of the passengers who alighted from the same bus as me, and they told me it's the other way, past the bridge.  Okay, so I went the way they told me but it looked just like a parking lot for motorcycles so I asked a kindly man unloading stuff from his car (he seemed to be a worker somewhere at the Main Station) and he helped me and gave clearer directions.  He told me to go straight and  then cross the road under the bridge (a flyover of some sorts) and then walk along the main road.  Thanks to him, I was able to find the hostel. 

     When I reached the hostel, it was around 4:30 a.m.  So, did I push through with my travel plans to Sun Moon Lake?  Hmm...



 

4 comments:

m1m1 said...

another taiwan trip! congrats sis! :)

youknowyouloveme said...

Sis m1m1,

Thanks a lot! Yay!

heydeegee said...

hi! your blog is helpful. im planning a solo trip to taiwan this last week of october. could you suggest a 4 day itinerary? just around the city as i may have a hard time riding buses :)

Asian Travel Adventures said...

Thanks, heydeegee!

I am really no help in making an itinerary but the PinoyExchange Taiwan travel thread has great sample itineraries, courtesy of sis evelash. You can view the thread here: http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290246

You can read din my trip reports here:
http://asiantraveladventures.blogspot.com/p/taiwan-adventures-quick-links.html

Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...