31 May 2011

Taiwan Travel Adventures 2011: Day 2 in Jinguashi (Part 2) - The Four Joined Japanese-Style Residences




     My story is still about the Gold Ecological Museum and the attractions within the compound.  This time, I'd be taking you around some of the shooting locations of one my my favorite Taiwanese idol dramas, Corner with Love starring Show Luo and Da S, including the Four Joined Japanese-Style Residences



     While researching for places to go to in Taiwan, I came upon this blog which became my quasi-guide about Taiwan.  In fact, I wanted to go to all the places she featured in her blog, and I planned going to some of those places.  Like the Gold Ecological Park, the Monga shooting locations and of course, up in Yangmingshan to see the Calla Lily Festival.  Sadly, I was not able to go to the last one, and the museum for the Monga shooting locations was closed when I went there.

     Anyway, it was from the Perladipace's blog that I came to know that Show Luo's house in the Corner with Love is actually the Four-Joined Houses in Gold Ecological Museum, and that his grandmother's food stall is located somewhere near the area.  I was like, "jackpot!"  So, because of that, I decided to go to Jinguashi!  Yay!

     The Four Joined Japanese-Style Residences at the Gold Ecological Museum is the first attraction you'd find there.  The houses were so pretty that I took pictures in and out; I was like house-stalking but I didn't care.  I love the Four Joined residences so, so much and I'm thankful for those people and institutions who made its restoration possible.




Apparently, House No. 69 is Show Luo's home in Corner with Love.


     Since I came in early, I circled the area first and took photos of the Four-Joined Houses in all angles and from different vantage points.  It was quite fun, actually.  When it was time for the Four-Joined Houses to open (it's now a museum), I came in, and the friendly staff told me to sit and watch the video presentation.  The video was about the history of the Four-Joined Houses and the efforts put into restoring the place.  Knowing the history made me feel a certain attachment and reverence to the houses and to those who restored them.  Simply astounding.









     Because I have a short memory, I forgot when the Four Joined residences re-opened, but it was only recently, like in 2007 or 2008 only.  After the film showing, our guide, a middle-aged Taiwanese woman, took us around the house, narrating bits and pieces of history while at it. 

     Anyway, the tour was quick but packed with information, most of which already escaped my mind.  I remember the dont's of the place, though, like: 1) Don't use flash to preserve the house and the items inside; 2) Don't step on the sliders on the floor (the ones where the doors slide); and 3) Don't walk with heavy steps.

     Aside from all those "Dont's," the furnishings of the house triggered the memories when I was little.  It reminded me much of the furnishings and things found in my grandparents' house, even the water thermos and the sewing machine. 

     Anyway, I wanted to live at the Four Joined residences.  It's very, very pretty and calm and even the small back garden's a beauty.

This is a bomb shelter.  I feel as if Sadako would crawl out of this hole.


One of the kitchens.  I think that's a stone oven.


This is the study room if I remember correctly.


Cupboard with china.

I hate washing dishes but if the kitchen windows are like this, I can bear with it.


Real antiques (the washboard) and new items (the toilet and the toilet sink).

Dining room.  The rice on the bowl are just small Styrofoams!

Playroom!  With a wooden horse and is that shogi on the board?

They put modern plumbing, too.

The back garden and the view from the windows.

My grandmother had a sewing machine and an electric fan like those above.

The bedroom but not Japanese-style.  Apparently, these furnishings were inspired when the Chinese people were in Jinguashi after the Japanese occupation or something.  I forgot which decade, though.




A common cupboard during the old days (my grandmother's era).


Really.  Take out the Japanese-style windows and I'd think that I'm just at my grandmother's house when I was a little kid.  The thermos, the seats, the lamp and the crocheted thingy are very nostalgic.  I remember seeing similar items when I was a kid, again at my grandparents' house




The hallway!  So cute!  I want to live there.  The back garden can be seen from the windows.

     As for Show Luo's grandmother's food stall in Corner with Love, it's part of the alfresco dining area of a restaurant nearby.  It's where I took my lunch, too.  


3 comments:

my sweet nothings said...

nice photos

will be back in your blog as ill be der in sept thank yu

youknowyouloveme said...

Dear @ rambling and raves of some sweet nothings,

Thanks for stopping by! I hope my blog can help you in planning your trip. I suggest you go and visit the tunnel and the museum where the huge gold bar is. I forgot to go there.

my sweet nothings said...

sure will try to visit those places =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...