20 January 2011

Beijing Adventures - Day 2: Temple of Heaven

 


     The Temple of Heaven doesn't look like any other temples I've seen.  It's the only circular temple I know of.   The guide told us loads of data about the reason why it is circular and why the Temple holds such importance but I forgot about it.  So at @ m1m1, if you're reading this, better listen to the tour guide.  Heehee.

     All I remember are these tidbits:  1)  it's round because it represents heaven; 2) it has something to do with good harvest and prayers; 3) the emperors of the olden days used to visit the temple, which ones I forgot; and, 4) it's a UNESCO heritage site.

     We came to the temple through a gate, this gate:


     
      And according to this map, this is the North Gate.




      I immediately fell in love with the temple grounds.  There are trees, and more trees everywhere.  Leave me in a piece of land with tree-lined paths, manicured lawns, plants and flowers carefully tended and I'd be a happy gal.

     I was walking way behind my friends and the guide because I was busy snapping pictures of the surroundings.  It was almost 4 p.m. and the sun was about to set in a short while.  And so, the beauty of the almost setting sun and the faint glow that it cast made the Temple even more beautiful and divine.


      
   
     


 
     There's a mini-museum inside with a small scale Temple of Heaven as well as photos.







     The guide told us she's going to show us something interesting.  Guess what it was?  People playing cards at the Long Corridor.







     I really, love this photo.  It's kinda serene and calming, but there's a hint of the cold weather and loneliness.




     Winter's almost here...





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your shots! how do you PP your photos?

youknowyouloveme said...

@ anonymous

Thanks! What does PP means? Post process? I don't know anything about photography; I just point and shoot. For post processing, I use actions from the Coffeeshop Blog and textures from Shadow House Creations for those nice effects. I only have PSE, and I'm a fairly new user, so I tweak only a little, usually just a levels adjustment or color corrections. The first one and the last two photos had textures, with levels adjusted (I just click the command; I don't know how to do levels adjustment or any other photo enhancement actions manually). The Temple of Heaven Grounds photos were run through actions.

Some of my Beijing photos have shadows; some were over exposed, and they look really bad, but sometimes, placing textures on top of those photos make it work. Sometimes, I crop photos so it'll look better.

Anonymous said...

Wow point and shoot camera lang ang gamit mo? Ang galing naman. Ang gaganda ng mga pictures! I really hope I can visit China someday. The temples are very stunning! Thank you for sharing! :-)

youknowyouloveme said...

@ mylovelylife88

I use both point & shoot and a dslr with its kit lens. Nothing fancy, though, kasi I don't know how to use the dslr. I borrowed it from my cousin, and I just use it with its automatic settings. Kaya yung dslr nagiging P&S lang sa akin, lol. In fact, my P&S is better kasi it has wide lens and it has super zoom.

Anonymous said...

I hope can visit China this year. i like the treatment and the mood on your photos, and the 3 photos at the top look really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

youknowyouloveme said...

@ Anonymous

Thanks a lot! I just used some textures over my original photos and it ended up just like that; like a painting, right? I'm glad someone liked my blog header.

The first photo is the Great Wall in China, the middle is the CKS Memorial in Taiwan and the last photo is a view of the Victoria Harbor in Hong Kong.

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

wow! you have beautiful photos!
Keep exploring! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...