29 January 2011

Beijing Adventures - Day 3: Quanjude in Wangfujing

    


     Our driver and tour guide chauffeured us to Quanjude in Wangfujing.  I have read raves about this restaurant, presumably, it serves one of the best Peking ducks in Beijing.  Of course, we're in Beijing, and it's a must to eat this delectable dish.

     So, it was around 1:00 p.m. when we got to Quanjude.  We thought that we would not have a table, but to our surprise, there were vacant tables.  Yay!  It's not that there weren't any diners, mind you.  Rather, the restaurant is just huge.  It's like a ballroom of a hotel; it's that expansive.  The restaurant seems really classy, with those beautiful chandeliers and red and gold table cloths.  There is also a stage, what for, I don't know.  I slipped out of my coat and I hung it over my chair.  Immediately, a waiter came, placed a cloth cover over the back of my chair, and another one over my belongings which I stashed on top of the chair beside me.  Viola.  No coats hanging that skews the aesthetics of the place.  Very effective. 




     We ordered of course a Peking duck, well, half a duck, as well as the pancakes and the side dishes.  We also had dessert, I couldn't remember what it was, as well as another dish.  We just had Peking duck the night before but what the heck. The only complaint I have is that the tea is not free.

     So, a couple of minutes later, a chef with a cart came near our table and proceeded to prepare the duck.  I was really amazed with the look of the duck.  Although the one we had the night before was tasty, it was nowhere near the beauty of the duck laying there before our eyes.  Quanjude's duck looks moist, full, smooth, and huge.  Also, the skill of the chef in slicing the duck is superb.  Having witnessed two separate preparations, Quanjude makes it better. The slices are thin and even.




     The chef first sliced off some duck skin, and it looks so crispy!  The waitress brought a small plate to our table. When we ate it, it was full of fatty oil from the skin.  It was yummy but oily.  A little later and another plate was filled-up with duck meat.  It was delicious!  We weren't disappointed, not in the very least.




     And I met my second future husband here, too.  He was with his grandparents, I suppose.  Well, they may be his parents.  Like my first  future husband, he's tall, but he's more of a risk-taker when it comes to fashion.  He's wearing a pink sweater and cool sneakers.  If he's wearing bright pink and remains manly, then, he's so comfortable with his sexuality.  I took a photo of him.  He can be seen, too, in the second photo board.


This photo doesn't do him any justice.
He looks way better in person.
He's carefully checking the bill while waiting for his parents/grandparents.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...