31 October 2010

Manila Chronicles: Dangwa Flower Market

        



     I can't always be traveling around Asia, so to keep this blog going, I decided to have a series of posts entitled, The Manila Chronicles.  I'll be blogging about interesting places in Manila, the capital of the Philippines, and its neighboring cities which make up the National Capital Region.  From bargain-hunting in wholesale-haven Divisoria to shopping in posh Greenbelt and visiting churches, I'll try to entice anyone to set foot onto these places.

     For my first post, I'll take you to Manila's premiere flower market, Dangwa. 

     Dangwa flower market in Sampaloc, Manila, derived its name from the bus station beside it.  It is located somewhere between the University of Santo Tomas (UST), my alma mater, and SM City San Lazaro.  To be precise, it's between Dimasalang and Dapitan Sts.; if I'm not mistaken, from Dos Castillas up to Don Quixote.

   You could round up the market in ten minutes, if you only pass by the streets.  More if you visit the new Manila Flower Center.  It's new, at least for me, because it wasn't there yet when I finished studying at UST three years ago.  However, if you really take a good look at the flowers, stall hop and haggle, it could take an hour or two.  Don't worry, walking in Dangwa is not intimidating; after all, people from all walks of life buy their flowers there.  First, it's cheaper, way cheaper than at the malls or flower shops; second, you could buy wholesale flowers here, and third, there are so many to choose from.

     This midnight, we headed off to Dangwa to  buy flowers for November 1, or All Saints Day, to put in the graves of our departed loved ones.  I was with my mother and extended family, and of course, it was so late and yet, Dangwa was bustling with activities.  There were a lot of people buying flowers like us; after all, Dangwa's super peak days include not only Valentine's but also November 1.

     Parking was not a problem.  There were a lot of guys with placards offering parking in the nearby streets for Php 20.00 (USD .50 cents); some unscrupulous ones offer Php 35.00.  But in fact, there shouldn't be a price for parking because they'll just make you park along the public road.  Oh well, it's a quick buck for some.

     While my relatives were buying flowers, I was snapping pictures left and right.  There were a lot of mums, baby's breath, orchids, roses, and then, there are a lot of flowers and plants which I don't even know how to call.  The place was really busy and people were all scurrying, and I was blocking people's path because I would just suddenly stop from walking and take a photo or two.  So, as not to annoy anyone, I took pictures while walking.  Hence, the crappy pictures.  And oh, I saw a jack o' lantern in one of the stalls, and they also sell decorative gourds, I took some pictures and the jack o' lantern's eyes were uneven. I had to laugh because of that.  Heehee.

     We didn't stay long in Dangwa; just around 30 minutes, or so.  My mother bought an arranged flower piece for my father's grave.  It's like tropical inspired.  She got it for Php 350.00, around USD 8.00.  See, I told you, it's cheap, and to think, we bought it during the peak season, so it's actually slightly higher than when you buy it on regular days.

     Dangwa flower market is accessible via public transportation.  If you're coming from Quiapo, hail a jeepney going to Blumentritt and it'll pass by Dangwa via Dimasalang Street.













No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...