17 November 2010

Thoughts: My Travel Essentials

     
     I admit, I'm a very lousy and sloppy person.  I am not organized with my things; in fact, my desk looks as if disaster struck.  And my inability to be orderly reflects how I pack my travel suitcase.  Yup, I am a pack-rat to be honest.

     I know, I know.  Packing my whole house in a suitcase is not the ideal way to travel.  Who wants to lug around heavy luggage?  That is why I'm trying to change for the better.  During my last 3 trips abroad this year, I packed light.  I swear.  I brought just enough clothes and only 2 extra blouses/shirts. I used to pack a change of clothing to last for the whole week even if I'll only be traveling for three days.  But now I've seen the light: the extra space on my luggage would mean more space for souvenirs and goods. Haha.

     Seriously, I've traveled to foreign countries a few times already (and a lot of domestic flights), so I know what and what not to pack.  But then again, I'm kinda weird, so, my list may not be suitable for everyone. Here's my list of travel essentials:

      1.  Make-up and Hair Iron

           This is not all vanity, you know.  Remember that while Filipinos get by wearing with little or no make up at all, that isn't so in other countries.  It's actually polite to wear make-up, especially in East Asia.  Making yourself look presentable, even while visiting tourists spots, is always a good thing.  And, who knows, I might get to meet a guy or two.  Heehee.  As for the hair iron?  I could use it to curl my hair or to tame my voluminous tresses.  First impressions really last, and I don't want to leave an impression with my disheveled hair, patchy skin or dry lips.

     2.  Sunscreen/sunblock [SPF], Moisturizer, Lip balm and my own Toiletry set

         These are a must here in the tropics and they're a must elsewhere.  Staying too long under the sun?  Or outdoors in a blistering cold?  Remember that sunscreen, moisturizer and lip balm are all-seasons essentials and not only for summers.  These are great for winter as well as cold winds dry-out the skin. Also, UV rays are as damaging in winter as in summer.

        Even if hotels provide toiletry items, I still bring my own, especially shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste and so on.  I put them on a small, compact case, something that would fit inside my purse.  And I never forget to bring facial tissues, cotton balls, cotton buds and wet wipes, too.

     3.  Cardigan, pashmina wrap or a light jacket

         Even if I'm going to Bangkok or Singapore, I still bring with me either of these three.  You'll never know when it'll get a little cold, and it's usually cold at the airport and inside the plane.   Personally, I really  prefer a pashmina. I could use it as a wrap when it gets cold, as an accessory, or as a blanket, too.  And it is so convenient to carry around.

     3.  Book or manga

         I never fail to bring with me a book or two or some of my manga.  However, reading a manga can last no longer than half an hour, snail pace at that.  So, I just bring one manga volume with me, and a paperback.  But really, it consumes space, so I'm thinking of buying a Kindle.

     4.  Laptop

         I know, I know.  If I want to travel light, I should leave my laptop at home.  But see, I always bring it with me whichever country I go.  I should opt to have a netbook or perhaps an iPad if I want to bring a computer with me, right? But, I've adapted so well traveling with a laptop when I was working in a different city last year, shuffling to and from airports.  I don't find it a liability anymore, just a part of my life.  However, what is the use of a laptop if there's no wi-fi?  Hmm.  Nonetheless, I plan to carry my new laptop to China.

      5.  Cellular phone, camera and their chargers plus adapter

           You see, if I have a phone, I can access the internet especially if there is wi-fi.  But I just carry my phone just to placate my mother's sentiments that I am all right, that I'd tell her that I'm not lost, or having a hard time or in trouble.  Or if the boss needs to ask about work  Besides, my phone, has a Google maps application, so it's handy when I roam around (yup, I just leave my laptop at the hotel).

         Of course, what it the use of traveling if you don't have with you a camera.  It does not need to be a fancy dslr, just a simple point and shoot will do.  And don't forget the chargers and extra batteries for your gadgets, and before you zip up your suitcase, research first the the type of pin and the voltage used in the place you'll go to.  In the Philippines, we use the 2-pin socket, just like in the US but in Singapore and Hong Kong, they have three-pronged pins.  I carry with me an adapter whenever I go there, in case the hotel doesn't provide one or if I have to use all sockets at one time.

     6.  Medicines

         Even if it's just mefenamic acid, or loperamide, better bring your own. It's difficult to find the brand that you're used to.  If it's prescription, it is all the more important to bring your own medicines.

     7.  Insect and Mosquito repellent, and Umbrella

          We live in the tropics, so I'm used to having a mosquito repellent handy.  Whenever I go to another country, I use one; you'll never know what bug will bite you.  And you'll find an umbrella, a folding one, very useful.  Protect yourself from the sun's rays, from the rain or snow.  Use an umbrella.  A very cute umbrella would make bringing an umbrella tolerable.

     8.  Credit cards, Cash and Travel Insurance

          I bring just enough cash with me; just around USD 400 to 500 (around Php 17,000+ to 21,000 Php) per travel in an Asian country.  After all, our flights, hotels and ground arrangements are all pre-paid.  But I don't spend it all.  That's a lot of money, at least for me, especially if I'll only be staying for 3D2N.  I bring credit cards for emergency purposes.  There might be instances when flights gets canceled, or when I fail to reach the airport on time for my departure, or when I decide to stay an extra day or two.  At least, I'll be sufficiently funded to buy another ticket home, or to book another hotel.

          And, don't forget to buy a travel insurance; it's always better to be on the safe side.  In fact, never travel without one.

     9.  Shopping bag [cloth or nylon]

         I always bring with me those convertible shopping bag, the ones that can be folded.  I could always stash my souvenirs and goodies in there when I go shopping; I could put an extra bottle of water in there, or an extra piece of shirt.  If I can't fit my belongings and souvenirs into my suitcase, I'll just have to put the excess inside the shopping bag and hand-carry it inside the airplane.

     10.  Notebook and Pen
          Come on, you should always bring a pen and notebook, or paper (those stick notes are good, too), with you anywhere you go.  And you need this most specially when you're out traveling.  You need to fill up departure and arrival cards; you can write down important information on your notebook; the name of a place, a restaurant, phone number of someone you met...there you go.


    So, this is my travel must-have list, and if you'll notice, these could easily fit into my purse, as  hand-carry, of course, except for the laptop and the hair iron.  Just make sure that there's nothing that exceeds the size and volume restrictions for liquid-based items (sunblock, for example).  

     I hope you find some useful tidbits for your travel planning.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you have an idea if I can bring my flat iron as hand carry in (domestic only) Cebu Pacific flights? thanks!

youknowyouloveme said...

Anonymous:

I may have accidentally stashed my hair iron inside my overnight bag [hand-carry] instead of my check-in luggage, perhaps one time or the other. I traveled quite a bit between Manila and Cebu for almost 2 years. I don't remember having encountered any problems whenever I forget to place my iron in the correct bag. After all, it's not a dangerous or a pointed object or anything. However, I usually put my hair iron inside my luggage. Maybe, I was just lucky. I'm really not certain, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'll take my chances. I'm on Go Lite promo, there must be no check-in bags :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...